Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Keeping Healthy Pets

Yesterday afternoon, I spent 2 hours and $250 at the vet in order to ensure that our healthy pets stay that way. I really love my dogs, Earl (shown to the left) and Garrett (below) - as well as our new kitten, K.C. (short for Kitty Cat). Garrett and Earl are two great dogs! But there are definitely times when I wonder whether it would make sense to purchase health insurance for my pets to save me a little out-of-pocket expense when we go to the vet. I understand that some policies are as low as $20/month!

For the most part, we are lucky to have healthy pets. They are young (ranging in age from 5 months to 4 years). We keep up on their vaccinations. All three animals are micro-chipped so that if they get lost we can find them. And, we're also lucky to live in a relatively dry part of the country that allows us to get out and walk the dogs regularly. All good fortune aside, however, Earl suffers from epilepsy which requires expensive blood tests and regular medication. Yesterday, the vet also told me that he needs to have his teeth professionally cleaned, which will run us close to $500 since they have to put him completely under.

When we adopted our pets, we took it seriously. I am sick at the number of pets that are adopted and then surrendered because they are not "allowed at the apartment," or because of "allergies," etc. So many owners do not consider the true cost of keeping healthy pets. We would never give up our pets because of the cost of their health care!

For now, we'll just have to bite the bullet and cough up the money for yesterday's vet appointment and the follow-up later in November when our kitten gets more booster shots. Earl will need blood work done at the same time. Gosh, its expensive to keep healthy pets. Speaking of which, I have a bit more convincing to do with my husband regarding the cost of Earl's dental cleaning...

All complaining aside, the animals in this cute video know what it means to stay healthy:



I believe that our pets keep us healthy at the same time we return the favor! So here's to our furry friends and keeping healthy pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment